In the craziness of desserts, holiday parties, and more desserts, remember to make your health a priority. It’s okay to indulge, celebrate and let loose. After all, ‘tis the season. But, it’s important to nourish your body with whole, plant foods that support your immunity, promote overall health and make you feel good. Think less about restricting yourself and more about filling up on real food. If you need a refresher, take a look back at some of my tips from Eat the Rainbow. Cheers to you and your health!
RAINBOW MASSAGED KALE SALAD
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, oil free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields ~2 servings
- 1 head curly kale (purple or green), removed from stems and chiffonade or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ ripe avocados, 1 for massaging kale and ½ for topping
- juice from ½ lemon
- juice from ½ orange
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- pinch of ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, optional
- 2-3 carrots, peeled into thin, curly strips
- 1 Tbsp. pomegranate seeds
- 3-4 thin slices of watermelon radish
- Roasted purple sweet potato, sliced (recipe below)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- De-stem kale and chiffonade or tear into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Rinse and drain using a salad spinner.
- Combine prepared kale in a large mixing bowl with 1 avocado, orange and lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, pinch of salt, pinch of turmeric, and nutritional yeast.
- Using clean hands, massage ingredients into kale leaves for about 1 minute or until kale becomes bright green and fragrant. By gently massaging the kale, you are breaking down the cell walls and releasing Chlorophyll , turning tough, bitter kale into sweet, tender kale!
- Incorporate kale with veggies, toss mixture, top with avocado, and set aside in fridge until ready to serve.
ROASTED PURPLE SWEET POTATOES
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- 1 large or 2 medium purple sweet potatoes*
- 1-2 tsp. avocado oil, optional
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 450°*
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub and rinse sweet potato(es). Keep skin on.
- Cut width-wise into thin, circular discs.
- Toss with oil and salt to evenly coat.
- Transfer to lined baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes. Flip and roast for another 6-8 minutes, or until edges are crisp and center is tender.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- If you can’t find purple sweet potatoes, feel free to use any variety of sweet potato or yam you enjoy. They’re all delicious and so good for you!
- Baking time may vary, depending on your oven, so keep an eye on your potatoes and be careful not to burn.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 12/17/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Karen – Partner Sets
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Michelle – Battle Rope Slamdown*